Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Survey of key bird species
The project aims at protecting over 50 key bird species as well as their habitats in the Polish Carpathian Mountains through a comprehensive inventory as well as analysis and preparation of the respective data for its use in forest management and agriculture. In addition, a long-term monitoring system will be established and the awareness of the local population for the need of protection measures will be increased.
- New reliable monitoring data for 80 bird species collected on 530'000 ha
- 3'037 field visits carried out in order to gather information on the numbers and distribution of the key bird species in the Polish Carpathian mountains
- 1'057 persons trained to raise awareness and acceptance of nature-conversation related issues among target groups (foresters, farmers, local administrative units, local communities, etc.). 105 volunteers trained and motivated
- 55 workshops realized and 38'500 leaflets printed
- Active exchange with SVS BirdLife Switzerland established
- 27 bird conservation strategies elaborated
- National State Institute North
The Carpathians are an area of outstanding natural value in Poland, but their natural environment remains poorly explored. A lack of knowledge on natural resources, a lack of comprehensive surveys, and a lack of information about the potential and effective threats to natural resources (absence of comprehensive monitoring systems) are the most important gaps which lead to incomplete and inefficient protection of the Carpathian natural environment. In addition, the local and regional public is poorly aware of such protection. The project proposes to address these needs by focusing on populations of key bird species (according to Annex I of the Birds Directive and the Polish Red Data Book).
The goal of the project is to protect key bird species as well as their habitats in the Polish Carpathian Mountains (Podkarpackie, Malopolskie and Slaskie Voivodeships). Specific Objectives are: the provision of reliable, comprehensive data to the relevant public bodies on protection of key bird species and their habitats which is ready for integration and application in forest management, agro-environmental schemes and economic development strategies, the creation of a long-term monitoring framework of key bird species as well as awareness raising amongst foresters, farmers and relevant public authorities.
Local communities, local administrative units, farmers, foresters
The main activities are: Data collection (1500 field visits); Trainings for volunteers conducted; Production of digital maps for agro-environmental schemes; Elaboration of guideline reports for foresters; Elaboration of environmental-economic reports; Elaboration of training and information materials for target groups.
Contributo svizzero all'allargamento dell'UE
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1’070’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1’064’235|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 01.03.2011 - 31.12.2016 (Completed)