Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Wastewater Collection and Treatment Project Dvorniky
Dvorniky is located in the west of the country, in the region of Trnava, which, despite its proximity to the capital Bratislava, is still quite underdeveloped compared to the rest of the country. The municipality lags behind in relation to the quality of waste water collection and treatment and has no waste water network system. Only about 60% of the population live in houses that are connected to a public sewage system, which is a very low figure compared to the average in the EU-15 (84.4%). The project aims to provide an adapted and affordable waste water collection and treatment infrastructure and to improve the quality of the underground and surface waters in the region.
Protecting the environment
- Construction of the sewage system
- Construction of the waste water treatment plant
- Technical expertise to support the municipality of Dvorniky in subjects such as tendering and procurement, technical supervision, external project management and audits
- Awareness raising and training
- Efficient waste water collection system is in place and operational.
- Efficient and affordable waste water treatment plant is in place and operational.
- Increase of awareness of the population for environmental issues.
- National Coordination Unit
- Government Office of the Slovak Republic
The overall project objective is to contribute to a sustainable socio-economic development in Dvorniky by improving the capacity of the municipality to provide good quality public services and increasing the awareness of the population for environmental issues. In particular, the project will provide an adapted and affordable waste water collection and treatment infrastructure and improve the quality of the underground and surface waters in the region.
The goal of the project is to improve the municipality’s capacities by implementing adapted and affordable wastewater collection and treatment infrastructure. Besides these technical issues, the project shall also achieve socio-economic and environmental objectives.
The direct beneficiary is the municipality of Dvorniky as owner of the sewage network and of the waste water treatment plant. The indirect beneficiaries are the 2'100 inhabitants of Dvorniky, of which about 85% shall be connected by 2015 to the waste water collection and treatment system. These include domestic customers as well as small commercial enterprises and public institutions (e.g. schools, medical centre).
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Municipality of Dvorniky
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 5'519'425 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 5'125'221|
Phase 1 14.06.2012 - 28.02.2017 (Completed)