The head of the FDFA attended the 2011 World Economic Forum from 26 to 28 January. In her opening address she drew attention to global risks and their interdependence, which it will only be possible to overcome through dialogue and international cooperation.
The 2011 WEF offered numerous opportunities for members of the Federal Council to hold bilateral talks, informal discussions, debates and meetings. While she was in Davos, the Federal President received many leaders, including the following:
- Austrian Federal Chancellor Werner Faymann
- Tsakhia Elbegdorj, President of Mongolia
- Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
- Karim Massimov, Prime Minister of Kazakhstan
- Ali Babacan, Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey
- Viktor Janukovich, President of Ukraine
- Stefan Mappus, Minister-President of Baden-Württemberg
- Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President of Indonesia
- Antonio de Aguiar Patriota, Brazilian Foreign Minister
- Louise Arbour, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights,
now President of the International Crisis Group (ICG)
- Bronislaw Komorowski, President of Poland
- Georgios Papandreou, Prime Minister of Greece
Following a meeting with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos Calderon, the head of the FDFA signed a bilateral agreement on legal assistance in criminal matters.
Federal President Calmy-Rey also participated in various discussions that were held at this year’s WEF focusing on global sustainability. At the invitation of the UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-Moon, she joined the Global Sustainability Panel in autumn 2010. The mandate of this Panel, which comprises 20 leaders from all five continents, is to formulate new solutions for combating poverty and securing global sustainability.
Lars Knuchel, head of FDFA Information, +41 79 277 55 60
Address for enquiries:
Tel.: (+41) 031 322 31 53
Fax: (+41) 031 324 90 47