Effective Governance to Stabilize Population Growth
The continuing dramatic population growth in Egypt has a significant effect on the prospect of development efforts having tangible results. Implemented by the UNFPA in support to Egyptian civil society, this project, part of a larger 5 year program, aims to contribute to stabilizing population growth by collaborating closely with civil society in a consultative approach to develop awareness-raising media campaigns relevant to young citizens as well as working with official bodies to strengthen the governance mechanisms of the National Population Strategy.
Politica del settore pubblico
Rafforzamento dei sistemi sanitari
Salute e diritti riproduttivi
- Egypt is the third most populous country in Africa after Ethiopia and Nigeria with 92 million inhabitants. In 2014, Egypt ranked 15 globally of the most populated countries. The population growth rate in Egypt (1987-2015) is 2.3%, almost double the world population growth annual rate.
- The Egyptian Demographic and Health Survey 2014 indicated a faster pace of population increase over the past six years. The total fertility rate increased from 3 children per woman in 2008 to 3.5 children per woman in 2014.
- The reasons for this increase can be attributed to the political upheavals this period witnessed which led to family planning being neglected on the political agenda (for details see 2.1. context)
- The current political commitment of the leadership (presidency, cabinet) and legislative framework in Egypt offer a unique opportunity to reduce population growth and to improve population characteristics which over time will improve quality of life and opportunities especially for the youth.
- The continuing dramatic population growth in Egypt has a significant effect on the prospect of making progress in reducing poverty and unemployment rates and raising standards of living. This adds up to a continuing lack of perspectives for a growing part of the population.
- With UNFPA support, the National Population Council (NPC) drew the National Population Strategy and the executive plan 2015-2020 and is currently coordinating and monitoring implementation by line-ministries towards achievement of the set targets
- Create Governorate level taskforces for implementation of National Population Strategy
- Utilize entertainment education in order to sensitize governance partner and to deliver population education in school and out of school settings
- Carry out a comprehensive media campaign on all platforms – digital, electronic, print, and audio – to educate the public on population, Family Planning issues, GBV and harmful Practices and to promote small family concept
- Strengthening the capacity for supply chain management in order to enhance quality of care and support choice of methods by reducing stockouts of contraceptives and related equipment
- Fondo delle Nazioni Unite per la popolazione
To contribute to stabilized population growth in Egypt through supporting and giving an active role to citizens, harnessing their creativity and networks for awareness-raising.
Young people between the ages of 15-24 especially in the four governorates with the highest fertility rate (Sohag, Assuit, Qena and Luxor). It thereby follows the Swiss focus region of Upper Egypt. In the short term, it will benefit the local development ministry in its consultation and governance processes to steer the implementation of the NPS. In this line, it aims to train 100 trainers of trainers and 2,300 young people out of civil society in 23 governorates on key aspects of population growth.
A total of 8,000,000 people are targeted by the awareness campaigns.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Outcome 1: Young Egyptians and women in particular are empowered through increased and accessible family planning services
Outcome 2: Consultation based awareness about the population dynamics is raised and concept of the small size families in Egypt is promoted
Outcome 3: Governance mechanisms for implementation of National Population Strategy are strengthened
Risultati principali attesi:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
European Union (EU)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
National Population Council (NPC)
Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP)
Ministry of Youth and Sports (MOYS)
Al Azhar and the Coptic Church’s Bishopric of Public Ecumenical and Social Services (BLESS)
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 2'000'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'800'000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 1 01.10.2017 - 31.12.2019 (Fase in corso)|