Contribution to UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women
Switzerland is renewing its contribution to the system-wide United Nations Trust Fund to End Violence against Women (UNTF). As the only global multilateral grant-making mechanism exclusively devoted to supporting local and national efforts to ending violence against women and girls (EVAW/G), including in fragile and conflict contexts, the UNTF has the advantage to possess a global overview of the legal provisions and practices, methods of prevention and types of support services needed. Dissemination of good practice will be strengthened to inform policy and programming.
État de droit - démocratie - droits de l’homme
Développement des systèmes légaux et judiciaires
Droits de l’homme (y compris droits des femmes)
Conseil psychosocial (till 2016)
- Women and girl, men and boys on prevention work
- Journalists and teachers on prevention work
- Women and girls victims of violence ranging from domestic and sexual violence, sexual harassment, harmful practices such as child, early and forced marriage to female genital mutilation/cutting to trafficking and forced prostitution
- Law makers, judges, police and social workers on legislation and law enforcement, including support services
- Grantees’ NGOs through the strengthening of their internal monitoring and evaluation functions
- Improved access for women and girls to essential, safe and adequate multisectoral services to end VAW/G
- Increased effectiveness of legislation, policies, national action plans and accountability systems to prevent and end VAW/G
- Improved prevention of VAW/G through changes in behaviors, practices and attitudes
- Grants for EVAW/G are used efficiently and effectively to achieve results and generate evidence and lessons learned
- Global evidence hub created for harvesting, analysing and disseminating useful lessons from the evaluated results of UNTF projects that measurably inform policy and programming
- Partnership created and support mobilized for increased global resourcing and commitments to EVAW/G, including for the UNTF
Violence against women and girls (VAWG) is a universal phenomenon irrespective of income, class, education, culture and age. The root causes of all forms of violence against women and girls remain the unequal power relations between men and women and gender inequality in all facets of life. It is a major cause of poverty and a serious barrier to sustainable development. The United Nations Trust Fund to End Violence against Women (UNTF) was established in 1996 and awards grants annually to governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as to UN country teams.
The UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women’s advocates for and finances innovative approaches for preventing and ending violence against women and girls, shares learning from global evidence collected from the projects it funds and leverages its mandate and convening power to foster increased funding for EVAW/G.
|Effets à moyen terme||
Principaux résultats attendus:
Principaux résultats antérieurs:
Since its establishment in 1996, The projects supported by the UNTF contributed to changing knowledge and behaviour by addressing in particular men and boys’ perception and attitude which is fundamental to ending violence against women and girls. Other results include: new legislation, improved referral systems and access to justice for survivors, improved access to health and protection services for survivors. In 2015, over 1 million people benefitted from the UNTF. Close to 180’000 women and girls have been directly involved in programs’ activities. Over 130’000 people have been engaged as agents of change including men and boys, education professionals, and community based organizations. Around 700’000 people were reached through awareness raising, social media campaigns, radio, TV and theatre. The results and lessons learned informed the current UNTF Strategic Plan 2015-2020.
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Coopération au développement
|Partenaire de projet||
Organisme des Nations Unies (ONU)
Partenaire de mise en œuvre
Partenaires multiples locaux
|Coordination avec d'autres projets et acteurs||
The UNTF ensures the involvement of UN agencies in all actions, thereby working towards creating synergies between UNTF activities and the wider UN System in the context of ‘delivering as one’. It will also share good practice with multi-projects supported by Switzerland, such as projects in Mongolia and Nepal.
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 3'000'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 2'900'000 Budget y compris partenaires de projet CHF 13'827'509|
|Phases du projet||Phase 3 01.12.2016 - 30.11.2021 (Phase en cours) Phase 2 15.12.2013 - 30.11.2016 (Completed) Phase 1 01.12.2011 - 30.11.2013 (Completed)|