Restoration of the Strumica River Basin
As a continuation of the support to the Macedonian water and nature sector, Switzerland developed a group of projects that will assist the country to have cleaner water and a healthier environment, as well as to move forward in meeting its obligations towards the EU. Through this project, Citizens and farmers in the Strumica river basin will benefit from improved economic wellbeing as a result of a better ecological status of the river basin and reduced flooding hazards.
Changement climatique & environnement
Conservation des ressources en eau
Protection de la biosphère
- Five Municipalities in the river basin
- Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning
- Population in the Strumica River Basin
- Citizens and farmers reduce pressures on water bodies and enhance resilience of the Strumica River Basin to the flooding hazards.
- Municipalities and the central level authorities efficiently apply integrated water resource management in the Strumica River Basin.
- The Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning is able to efficiently protect and sustainably use the groundwater in Macedonia.
- Reduced point source of pollution;
- Reduced diffuse source of pollution;
- Overall resilience of communities to the flooding hazard is enhanced;
- Decentralized and adaptive basin-scale management of water resources is introduced.
- Strumica River Basin Management Plan
- Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment. The preparatory phase enabled the most comprehensive data collection and synthesis for this basin so far.
- Central State of South East
- Sectreur privé étranger Sud/Est
- Programme des Nations Unies pour le développement
During the process of accession towards the EU, Macedonia has harmonized the national legislation on water management with the EU directives. Nevertheless, the Implementation of the legislation is lagging behind, mainly due to insufficient financial, human, administrative and technical capacities at central and local level. One ofthe biggest challenges is the application of management principles, like the integrated water resources management and the river basin governance. The Strumica River Basm is one of the four main basins in the country and is characterized by significant degradation of the ecological status of water bodies and the hydrological regimes, which leads to frequentoccurrence of harmfui hydrological events such as floods and droughts.
The economic wellbeing of the population and the environmental status of the Strumica River Basin have improved through integrated water resources management.
|Effets à moyen terme||
Principaux résultats attendus:
Principaux résultats antérieurs:
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Coopération avec l'Europe de l'Est
|Partenaire de projet||
Institution étatique étrangère
Organisme des Nations Unies (ONU)
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 4'400'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 3'197'271|
|Phases du projet||Phase 1 01.07.2014 - 31.12.2022 (Phase en cours)|