Contribution to Paris21 (2018)
The Partnership in Statistics for Development in the 21st Century (PARIS21) is a global partnership of national, regional and international statisticians, development professionals and policy makers seeking to improve evidence-based decision making mainly in low-income developing countries. The main accent of PARIS21’s activities is to stimulate the dialogue between data producers and users and act as a knowledge hub in the field of statistical capacity building.
Política del sector público
Gestión de las finanzas públicas
Tecnología de la información y las comunicaciones (TIC)
- The coordinated action of National Statistical Systems (NSS), led by National Statistical Offices (NSO) in collaboration with various stakeholders, is improved through the establishment of National Strategies for the Development of Statistics (NSDS), the revision of statistical acts, and purposeful advocacy to improve data user engagement and capacity.
- Countries are more efficient in the planning, production and dissemination of SDG indicators through the use of relevant tools such as the Advanced Data Planning Tool (ADAPT).
- In its quality of knowledge hub, PARIS21 has enhanced the share of information on new and emerging developments in statistical capacity development through the release of discussion papers and guides, the brokering of partnerships at country level including designing the implementation modalities of such partnerships, and the piloting of new approaches specifically in regard to new data sources.
- Guidelines and best practices for National Statistical Systems (NSS);
- Advocacy toolkit for countries;
- Facilitation of NSDS design and implementation with training sessions at country and regional levels;
- Communications strategy for Statistics Botswana.
- Organización para la Cooperación y el Desarrollo Económico
|Contexto||Reliable statistics are at the core of the international community’s efforts to achieve the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Technological innovations have unlocked unprecedented new opportunities in data production, dissemination and analysis, leading to increased demand for data and rising expectations at all levels of society. But the “data revolution” also brings up new risks such as the question of the quality of the information. The challenge is not just producing more and better data to respond to an ever growing demand, but also supporting its effective use to lead to better policies and ultimately better lives. PARIS21, with its expertise in statistical capacity building can help countries to face these challenges and even take advantage of new opportunities.|
|Objetivos||PARIS21's vision is to reduce poverty and improve governance in developing countries by promoting the integration of statistics and reliable data in the decision-making process.|
|Grupos destinarios||The main target group of the PARIS21 program are the statisticians, the policy-makers, and other data producers and users in developing countries.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
This contribution 2018 should help producing these outputs with a geographical focus on Africa, and a thematic focus on leaving no one behind, gender equality, and accountability.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
PARIS21 has been successful in raising attention to the importance of statistics and helping countries make plans to improve their statistical systems. The development and implementation of the first generation of the National Strategies for the Development of Statistics (NSDS) has laid the groundwork for a long term, trusted relationship where PARIS21 receives requests by national governments as well as regional entities for its support (peer reviews, regional seminars, development of advocacy and training materials, promotion of dialogue mechanisms, etc.). In 2017, PARIS21 was directly engaged with 31 countries and reached 57 countries through regional activities.
PARIS21 has played an important role in defining statistical needs in the context of the Busan Action Plan for Statistics (BAPS), Post-2015 discussions, and the “data revolution”.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Otra organización internacional
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
The PARIS21 secretariat is delivering its program in the framework of the partnership. Activities always respond to country needs and requests and are delivered, as much as possible, with regional partners.
PARIS21 also acts as a knowledge hub and convenor/facilitator for discussions between the different partners (i.e. facilitating the user/producer dialogue at various levels.).
PARIS21 is participating in international events and initiatives, such as the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
PARIS21 works closely with the UN Statistical Commission; the World Bank and other multilateral institutions are on the Board.
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1'500'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 1'250'000 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 13'056'669 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto suizo CHF 2'420'000 Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 4'400'000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 1 01.12.2018 - 31.12.2019 (Fase en curso)|