Programme Development North Africa
Originally conceived to support the development of activities under the Swiss North Africa Programme launched from scratch in 2011, the 5th phase with a much reduced budget allows deepening relevant thematic and context knowledge, developing and formulating future strategic priorities and setting-up adapted or new projects for SDC in a fragile and complex environment. For 2015-16 the focus is on preparatory work for the Swiss North Africa programme 2017-20.
Employment & economic development
Climate change and environment
Migration generally (development aspects and partnerships)
Public sector policy
- North Africa is a fragile and complex transition context, marked by often unforeseen developments.
- Under the Swiss North Africa Programme 2011-2016, Switzerland engages in the region with an annual budget of around CHF 60 million. SDC’s humanitarian and development budget amounts to approximately CHF 23 Mio. for 2015.
- SDC is active in all three domains of the North Africa Programme, namely (1) democratic transition and human rights (2) economic development and jobs (3) protection and migration.
- In 2015/16 the new North Africa Programme will be elaborated.
- The North African contexts remain highly fragile, demanding flexible and adaptable programming.
- Deepen relevant context and thematic knowledge
- Develop and formulate new strategic priorities, including adaptation strategies that respond to context challenges
- Develop new or adapted projects in-line with strategic priorities
- Research papers
- Knowledge sharing events
- Mission reports
- Project concepts
- The credit-line has been instrumental in the development and networking activity that accompanied the (re-)launch of SDC activities in North Africa in 2011.
- A number of projects launched in 2011 are coming to an end and their continuation and/or possible reorientation needs to be discussed. In some cases, alternative projects will be sought.
- Project identification missions have proved to be highly useful in assessing strategic engagement opportunities.
- The current Swiss strategy for North Africa will end in 2016; the mid-term review of the strategy and context developments have yielded points that need further analysis as a basis for the next Swiss strategy North Africa, i.e. on fragility or radicalisation.
- Foreign private sector North
- Foreign private sector South/East
To support the development of future strategic priorities in North Africa and the subsequent development of adapted or new projects for SDC.
Results from previous phases:
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Synergies are a priority when discussing the continuation / reorientation / replacement of ending projects.
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 200'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 149'952 Total project since first phase Swiss budget CHF 1'650'000 Budget inclusive project partner CHF 1'850'000|
|Project phases||Phase 5 01.07.2015 - 30.06.2020 (Current phase) Phase 3 01.01.2013 - 31.12.2014 (Completed) Phase 2 01.01.2012 - 31.10.2013 (Completed)|