North Macedonia: Nature Conservation Programme
Switzerland will assist North Macedonia in sustainable management of natural resources through practical application of conservation measures such as regional protected areas and integrated forest management in the Bregalnica region. Further framework conditions will be improved and support is provided in implementing national legislation and the Strategy on Nature. By promoting ecologically and sustainably produced products and services, economic benefit for the local population will be generated.
Climate change and environment
- Centre for Development of the East Planning (Bregalnica) Region
- 15 municipalities in the Bregalnica Region
- Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Economy
- Faculty of Forestry in Skopje
- Population (approx. 200’000) in the Bregalnica Region
- Institutions at all levels efficiently implement national legislation for nature conservation and integrated management of natural resources.
- A management body for the Bregalnica protected area(s) applies, jointly with local, regional and national institutions and the population, integrative approaches for nature conservation.
- Citizens of the Bregalnica region have increased income and quality of life through promotion and selling of ecologically and sustainably produced products and services in a socially inclusive way.
- HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation
- Foreign private sector South/East
|Background||North Macedonia’s natural resources provide a high potential for sustainable development. The country adopted the SDGs, and meeting the EU Environmental Acquis is a designated aim of the government. Unfortunately, the lack of resources (financial, human, technical) at all level slows down implementation of laws and strategies, hampering effective nature conservation. The Bregalnica region possesses an extraordinary biodiversity richness which shall be conserved and protected, ensuring at the same time economic benefits for the local population.|
Bregalnica region safeguards its natural values and promotes socio-economic development that is sustainable and inclusive.
Results from previous phases:
Framework conditions for nature conservation have been improved through preparation of legally binding strategies and documents needed for implementation of the Law on Nature, and for mainstreaming nature conservation in forestry. Related small projects (e.g. hiking and biking trails, nature-adventure park etc.), are already being replicated/upscaled by private or public entities without support from the project.
The Center for Development of the East Planning Region (CDEPR) became well-accepted by the Government and other key stakeholders and is a real driver of change in the region.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss cooperation with Eastern Europe
International or foreign NGO
Swiss Non-profit Organisation
|Coordination with other projects and actors||
EU project on Natura 2000
UNEP/GEF on mainstreaming biodiversity
EU project on protected areas implemented by UNDP
Regional Development Programme - GiZ
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 4'320'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 3'230'281|
|Project phases||Phase 2 01.01.2017 - 31.01.2021 (Current phase) Phase 1 01.11.2010 - 31.12.2016 (Completed)|