The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) has assisted Uzbekistan to formulate the Water Sector Development Concept for 2020-2030.
Why is this concept important?
- 70 percent of all funds allocated from the State budget for water management are spent on electricity.
- An average of 10,700 m3 of water a year is consumed per hectare (10’000 m2) of cultivated area.
- 60 percent of irrigation canals and 70 percent of flumes are worn out.
- Water supply remains low on 560,000 hectares.
- 46 percent of the irrigated farmland is salinized to varying degrees.
- In recent years, cultivation was discontinued on 298,000 hectares of irrigated land.