UNRWA General Fund 2014 - 2015
UNRWA is an agency for security and human development. It is active in providing education, healthcare, social services and emergency aid to almost 5 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon and the Syrian Arab Republic. Switzerland supports the organisation with CHF 20 million per year.
Conflit & fragilité
Aide humanitaire & RRC
Conflict prevention and transformation
Déplacements forcés (réfugiés, PDI, traite des êtres humains)
Système de santé primaire
Secteur non spécifié
Prévention des conflits
- Medical services provided to 3.6 Mio refugees per year. The health reform improved quality of care, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- 500,000 students attended 685 schools. The education reform generated positive classroom changes.
- 300’000 refugees supported by a social safety-net (food aid and cash). In addition, emergency assistance was quickly expanded in response to the conflicts, reaching 1.4 Mio persons.
- Planning and decision-making greatly improved with the finalization of the Medium-Term-Strategy 2016-21 (MTS) and the launch of the Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP).
- Resource mobilization has been particularly successful in the fundraising with Arab countries (their 2015 contribution to the General Fund increased to 7.5%) and the private sector (each dollar invested generated a return of 17 dollars).
- Switzerland exerted strong leadership in UNRWA’s Advisory Commission (AdCom): Between 2014-2015, Switzerland headed the AdCom’s Sub-Committee, and, since July 2015, assumes the vice-chairmanship of the AdCom. Switzerland provided policy support, platforms for stakeholders’ dialogue and facilitation work - which were instrumental in supporting the reform process and the finalization of the MTS.
- Switzerland financial support has contributed to catalyst initiatives enabling various programme (health and education) and management (resource mobilization, ERP) reforms - which have led to unmistakable improvements.
- Ensure universal access to quality and comprehensive primary health care; prevent and control diseases.
- Ensure universal access to basic education; enhance quality; improve access for learners with special needs.
- Reduce abject poverty; offer inclusive financial services; improve employability; improve camps’ environment.
- Ensure service delivery matches protection needs; advance rights of refugees by promoting respect for human rights and IHL; ensure registration is carried out in accordance with international standards.
- Management reforms are systematized to strengthen UNRWA’s capacity to serve Palestine refugees.
- Resource mobilization efforts attract the required additional resources.
- Strengthen the protection approach and the field interventions and increase stakeholders’ understanding of the approach.
- Enhance Palestine refugees’ livelihood opportunities by increasing the financial services available to them and improve their employability.
- Support efficient and effective management by ensuring that upcoming reforms (i.e. resource mobilization, new budget process, internal communication) are adequately funded and supported by stakeholders.
- Office de secours et de travaux des Nations Unies pour les réfugiés de Palestine dans le Proche-Orient
|Domaine de compétences||
UNRWA’s temporary mandate from the General Assembly is to respond to the needs of Palestine refugees living in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and the occupied Palestinian territory, until a durable and just solution is found.
|Priorités stratégiques de la Suisse et de l'organisation et leur cohérence||
UNRWA’s mandate is in line with: Message on International Cooperation; Swiss foreign policy priorities; Strategic Framework Near East; Cooperation Strategies for oPt and Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Iraq.
|Résultats de l'engagement déployé à ce jour par l'organisation||
|Résultats de l'engagement déployé à ce jour par la Suisse||
|Effets directs de l'engagement actuel de l'organisation||
|Effets directs de l'engagement actuel de la Suisse||
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
|Partenaire de projet||
Organisme des Nations Unies (ONU)
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 41'700'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 41'700'000|
Currently 6th donor to the General Fund - 11th donor for overall contribution to UNRWA (including emergency appeals, strategic projects).
The top five donors are the European Commission, USA, UK, Sweden, and Norway. The 25 main donors are part of the Advisory Commission, together with host states.
|Coordination avec autres projets et acteurs||
Switzerland seeks and facilitates coordination, particularly with like-minded donors and host countries.
|Phases du projet||
Phase 44 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)