You wish to report the birth of a child.

Online desk

There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth (SCA; CC 141.0):

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Birth abroad

Registration in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) of a birth which has occurred abroad requires submission of the documents listed on this webpage to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the birth has taken place.

There is no fee for the registration in question.


The Regional Consular Centre requires the following documents to register a birth:

  • Original Certificate of Birth of the foreign spouse (full version), issued by the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths

  • Copy of the child's passport if available. 

Should the child's parents not be married to one another, the Regional Consular Centre Pretoria must be contacted for further information on registering the birth.

All documents that are issued in Botswana must be legalised with an Apostille and must not be older than six months when they are submitted to the Regional Consular Center. They will not be returned to you.

An Apostille can be obtained from a representative of the Botswanan authorities, such as a Permanent Secretary, High Court Registrar or District Commissioner.


The following documents must be submitted to the Regional Consular Centre Pretoria to register a birth in Swiss civil registries:

  • Birth certificate (original) of the child, with apostille affixed. If the child’s parents are not married, please contact the Regional Consular Centre Pretoria.
  • 1 photocopy of the passport (page with information on identity only) of the child (if possible).

The Hague Convention Apostille can be obtained from the Prime Minister’s Office, Hôtel du Gouvernement, Port Louis

Birth in Switzerland

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document (as hard copy or in electronic form) to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • photocopy of the birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or of the Swiss family certificate

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days