Suizagua Andina, a Water Footprint project for Peru and Chile
Properly managed water resources are a critical component of growth, poverty reduction and equity. This is especially true for Peru and Chile. In both countries, competition for water as a key productive resource is increasing and conflicts over water are intensifying. With this project Switzerland aims at contributing to a better water resource management which is one of the most pressing regional development challenges.
Landwirtschaft und Ernährungssicherheit
Einsparung von Wasserressourcen
- The water footprint concept has been adopted by key private companies in Peru and Chile and contributes to a fairer allocation of the available water resources;
- the water footprint concept and tools are further developed and disseminated in the Andean region by key regional policy and business influencers.
- Ausländischer Privatsektor Süden/Osten
- Schweizerischer Privatsektor
- Main contractual partners are Agualimpia and Fundación Chile.
Peru and Chile as BRIC+20 countries offer an ideal positioning for water footprint development with a view to increase sustainable use of water resources worldwide. Building on a project conducted in Colombia (Suizagua Colombia), the SDC will adopt a similar approach and extend it further.
To influence the policy dialogue on integrated water resource management; to ensure a more sustainable use of water and avoid water conflicts based on the water footprint concept.
Populations of Peru and Chile: directly benefiting from the corporate social responsibility actions to be executed by the companies. Executor agencies Agualimpia, Fundación Chile and the partner companies that will be able to improve their sustainability indicators and serve as models to the private sector, water authorities and academia.
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 1'700'000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 1'561'621|
Phase 1 15.10.2012 - 31.08.2016 (Completed)