Gaza Vulnerable Communities Development- GVCD (Phase 1)
In the first phase of this project, SDC will support selected Municipalities in the Gaza Strip to improve the delivery of services through the Municipal Development and Lending Fund (MDLF): small-scale infrastructure projects targeting vulnerable communities and capacity development activities to enhance the participation of these communities in local decision-making processes will be implemented. This project is aligned with Palestine National Policy Agenda (2017-2022), and Swiss Cooperation Strategy for the oPt (2015-2018).
Diritti dell'uomo (diritti delle donne inclusi)
- Vulnerable communities living in 5-6 Municipalities (in the Eastern side of the Gaza Strip from middle to south (ca. 100’000 residents)
- Neighbourhood Committees, civic groups (youth, women, etc), and local civil society organisations active in the above selected municipalities
- Municipal councils and Technical staff in the selected municipalities as well MDLF Gaza based staff.
- Improved and accountable service delivery for vulnerable communities
- Strengthened accountability of targeted Municipalities towards citizens and civic groups (youth, women and Neighbourhood Committees) participating in local decision-making processes
- 10-15 infrastructure projects are implemented to respond to the needs of vulnerable communities (gender sensitive)
- Maintenance checklist developed jointly with community representatives
- Local CSOs are trained on MDLF’s Civic Participation and Social Accountability Guidelines
- Municipal authorities, civil groups and citizens are trained on civic participation (CP) and social accountability (SA).
- Vulnerable communities hold municipal authorities and service providers accountable in all stages of infrastructure projects (planning, implementation, monitoring).
- SDC Field Office
- 7F-07621.02 MDP3
- 7F-09404.01 Gaza Participatory Spatial Planning
- 7F-09403.01 Support to Village Councils (with focus on Area C (West Bank only)
- Support to civil society initiatives/culture (CFTA 7F03095.07, Qattan 7F-08809.01)
- Close coordination with MoLG/MDLF
- Synergies with other domains especially RoL
|Contesto||In the fragile context of the Gaza Strip, the Municipalities’ ability to provide mandated services to their citizens has been curtailed by the compounded impact of Israeli Occupation including armed conflicts, the 10-year closure of the Strip, and the intra-Palestinian divide especially the latest decisions taken by the two rival authorities. Facing general de-development trends and increased poverty, they are dependent on support provided through the Municipal Development Programme (MDP) of which SDC is a donor. Most of these Municipalities, in particular the smaller ones, are unable to address the specific needs of vulnerable communities, whose voices are too often not heard in local decision-making processes.|
|Obiettivi||Vulnerable communities in targeted Municipalities enjoy improved access and voice in local service delivery and decision-making|
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti: SDC-supported HIMII (See Annex 9) and its contribution to reconstruction after the 2014 war (MDP Window 5) have resulted in small-scale infrastructure (water/sewage network, and road connections), and in behavioural changes between citizens and Municipalities. These interventions demonstrated the relevance and adequacy of targeting “vulnerable communities” in the local governance sector in the oPt, in addition to the participation in the MDP.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 3’400’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 2’902’390|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 1 01.10.2017 - 31.12.2021 (Fase in corso)|