You wish to report your divorce.
Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).
To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar), the originals of the following documents must be as a rule submitted to the Swiss representation with any necessary legalisation for forwarding to Switzerland:
- divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- where applicable, changes of address of the divorced couple
These documents are intended to the competent civil status authority and will not be returned.
- Divorce decree, not older than 6 months (Nissi decree absolute) issued by the High Court with the date of validity
If the marriage was celebrated under Costomary law: an “Enrolment of Judgement” issued by the High Court must be submitted.
The Embassy reserves the right to request additional documents. The Nigerian spouse has to come to the Embassy in person with his/her original Nigerian passport. If he/she is not in Nigeria, the documents must be submitted where he/she is presently and legally residing (i.e. Switzerland). Documents submitted by a third party will no longer be accepted. The legalisation procedure, which can take up to 4 months is subject to a fee payable in Naira in advance.
Divorce in Switzerland
In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:
- photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple
There is no fee for the registration in question.