The relevant authorities do not automatically submit documents regarding a death to the Swiss representations abroad. It is therefore essential that the necessary documents are transmitted to the competent Swiss representation in order to have the various Swiss registers updated free of charge.
- Extract from the death registration no, in original, not older than 6 months (international format)
- Swiss identity documents to be cancelled. If the family wishes, these documents can be returned.
- Contact address of the family
In the case of a death in Switzerland the family of the deceased, if registered with a Swiss representation abroad, are under an obligation to report the death. This requires submitting the following document:
- a copy of the deceased’s death certificate
There is no fee for the registration in question.
Death in Switzerland
The competent Swiss representation must also be notified of the death in Switzerland of Swiss Abroad or their foreign spouses, in order to update the personal details in the register of the Swiss Abroad. The following documents and information have to be submitted to the competent Swiss representation:
- photocopy of Swiss death certificate (original not required)
- Swiss identity documents (passport & identity card) for cancellation, if they have not been cancelled already by a passport office in Switzerland – at the written request of the family, the cancelled documents can be returned as mementos (please specify this when submitting the documents)
- address and contact details of the surviving relatives